We now keep a record of all the changes we make on Cylocybe. This is basically the new News page we used to have, kind of. It allows anyone to keep track of new things.
3rd July, 2021
- Some changes to our homepage, including a shorter header menu bar.
- Re-done the FAQs page, still more pages to do work on.
- Started work on a new About Us page. It’s been the same since 2017 and doesn’t make any sense in 2021 because it was written at a time when when we were a truly unique shop in the UK. Now we don’t appear unique at all, there’s about a dozen shops all wanting to do what we do.
We’re going to put a lot more work into the About Us page to tell you the full story about why and how we started Cylocybe. Hopefully it will be entertaining and maybe inspire a few people to take the plunge in an idea and believe in themselves. What’s the point in having dreams and making every excuse under the sun not to pursue them.
2nd July, 2021
- We have finally got our reviews from Cusrev working and syncing to the site. You wouldn’t believe how helpful Long Nguyen at Cusrev was in helping us with this! The only issue is that 330 reviews just got posted to our site with todays date on them, but when you click on the review it shows the correct date.. We’ll try to fix that if it’s even worth our time.
Next up is having all of our old Trustpilot reviews put up on here as well. That is going to be a lot more tricky.
It’s funny how much we’ve missed having reviews.. Reading things people say about our service and our products is one of the most fun things in this job. Even the odd critical review really helps to keep improving this mushroom shop and our products. It feels good having it, but we know that Cusrev.com could just take it all away from us if they want – it’s their service after all.
1st July, 2021
- We have launched CyLab, it’s an all-in-one unit which includes a SAB / Incubator and a Fruiting Chamber. Basically everything a new grower will need to do virtually anything in this hobby.
29 June, 2021
- Changed back to the old logo – it feels more ‘us’ 🙂
- Added a new banner about products coming every month
- Haggled with a better courier – we are FED UP with DPD. 50% of our stress comes from DPD and we calculate that if we switch away from them then we may live 5-6 years longer and go grey much later too!
- Changed the Cylocybe Special recipe – more grain and a much higher water content. It’s better than ever, essentially.
- Excited about new products coming on Thursday – maybe the best products we have EVER offered on this site. Uniquely ours too 😉
22 June, 2021
- PF Tek MycoBag Grow Kit now added.
- We’ve been working on improving the standard PF-Tek recipe for the past couple of years, always failing until we hit the absolute jackpot this week. Fluffier than ever.
- Lots more updates to guides – more techniques added to maximise flush sizes.
- Removed bundled options for grow kits and opted for a simpler approach of including everything within a grow kit instead of giving choice of extras. This will speed up dispatch for us.
- SteriBag and SteriTub from today onwards will now be added to all grow kit, spawn and substrate products. No more paying extra for it.
- SubBox 1.6L now added to our shop.
- Pictures coming soon within a couple of days to show our SubBox 3.1L in action.
- New and improved spawn and substrate choices coming soon.
- Sterile liquid culture vials coming soon. Inject and grow.
- Lots of exciting things happening these days with Cylocybe. Enjoying coming up with new products in the background and knowing we bettering ourselves and products.
18 June, 2021
- Lots of little changes this week… removed the MonoBag grow kit and enhanced the MonoBox grow kit with more customisation. If folks want to grow like the MonoBag – they they can still do so with the XL Grow Tent which is included in the MonoBox Grow Kit.
- Now the MonoBox grow kit comes with a Mycowavable SubBox, simply add water and microwave. This allowed us to substantially decrease the price of the kit making it even more accessible to people on a budget who want to grow a huge amount of mushrooms. It’s £24 without any of the extra hygiene options. Insane value.
- AgarPots have reduced in price as we’ve included extra option products which can be added on at cost.
- Guides for a number of products have been improved upon with more growing techniques added. Best guides yet.
- Made a few Grow Kits out of stock as promised last week. We will bring these back on a limited basis at random times.
- Still massively struggling with 3ml syringe stocks. We have sourced another few thousand of them but it isn’t enough to last that long.
- Little improvements to the website as a whole, over a number of pages. Styles etc.
- Working on product descriptions for a number of products – some are just so boring when the products themselves are amazing.
- Set up a lab at home so when we aren’t at the farm we can still work on products and testing at home.
- We have been working on a range of new products for months that we are really excited about. We are at the final stages. We won’t spill the beans just yet, but let’s just say that grow kits can be so much better than what’s out there right now and we are doing something about it!
- After shutting our shop down for a month, we really suffered as a result – our No. 1 place on Google was taken away from us and we dropped down the search. We knew it would happen so we thought best to make a lot of other changes at the same time which would have hurt our rankings anyway. May as well do it all at once. We dropped the ‘www’ part from our domain and completely restructured our site. We wanted to do this for years. It will take time to get back up the search rankings, but luckily the orders are still coming in and slowly creeping back up to pre-holiday levels – we worried for a minute!
So many new businesses all wanting to do what we do these days. It’s really great for customers – they have so much choice… But there’s really only one choice in the the end of course, the best or one of the rest 😉
- We’ve added a couple more community spores products.
11 June, 2021
- Having lots of fun learning and playing about with the website front-end and back-end! I think we are pretty much done with the front-end side of things for a while as the categories are clearer and that was the main objective.
It takes an insane amount of new learning to completely alter a website it took two years to build.. We should have just paid developers to log in and do it for us – except we don’t trust folks with the website data!
…Every now and then we get in touch with developers to ask for help on a bug and it would amaze you how surprised they are when you refuse to give them the login credentials to your site. Makes you realise just how trusting and naive a lot of website owners must be. Insane.
- Lots of emails asking for certain products to come back, so we’ve added them. Some of our personal favourites, like Rye Grain MycoBoxes and MycoPots. But if they don’t sell then we’ll just take them back down.
- Next week we are going to start offering a limited selection of kits which will change every week or two. We are too busy to be offering every product, so we’ll focus on a few and that should speed up order dispatch too.
10 June, 2021
- We have added a simpler and fairer Guarantee policy on all sterile products like Grow Kits, etc.. It’s on each product under the tab title ’50/50 Guarantee’
- Made black and white versions of our logo – because some days we just don’t feel that colourful.
- We were fed up of the artwork vector on the homepage, so we went back to our old favourite
- Fixes to form logic on pages
- Added containers – it has every king of glass jar, plastic pot and box we use, available for anyone to buy with in-built injection ports or without
- Done a speed test on Gtmetrix – Grade-A 98% Performance. All this work being put into new learning for our site is showing results. Boom!
09 June, 2021
- We have been working with a new spore supplier for the past few months, a lab within the EU which produce the mushrooms and spores we need to supply so many of you guys. They have a fantastic setup with cleanroom labs and our customer reports of contams being seen under the microscope have dropped like a stone. Brilliant.
- Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to our old spore supplier a couple of months back. It became very apparent there was an issue with their spores due to an ubundance of customer reports. We couldn’t tell what was good and what was bad, so we threw out the lot. £30,000 of prints are probably in a landfill by now. The biggest financial loss for us ever, but we couldn’t sell them knowing there could be issues.
- New options added to all Grow Kits and Spawn products which allow customers to buy the main componant of a kit as default, but select hygiene products as an extra if they don’t have them. There are also options for ‘Flexi’ to be able to send out similar kits quicker if they are in stock. An option for ‘SteriBag’ too on many products
- We’ve updated our new generation bag-based Grow Kits to include SpawnBag Pro instead of SpawnBag
- Changes to the front page of our site. We are still not overly happy with the design but we massively rushed it to get it online for our shop re-opening last month
- Added more spawn products
08 June, 2021
- SpawnBag Pro now offered to customers
- SteriBag options added to many products
- Send a picture and we’ll check report back on the share page
- New competition added to the share page
- New ‘SAB’ tab added to kits, etc
- Tyvek coveralls added to Extra Supplies
06 June, 2021
- New share page for customers to upload photos of their grows
- Call for coders to help us out (bottom of main page)
- New layout design for grow kit products – old design was stale and bad on desktop
- Enhanced design of Contact Us page
- Rye Grain SpawnTub lowered by £4 (it was accidently using the SpawnJar price! Oops)
- Fixed the contact form submission message which was still saying we were on a break
- Re-edited the ‘Auto-Cancel’ email which gets sent out 24 hours after the ‘Action Needed’ email
- Updated Growing Your Own Mushroom Business
- Rye Grain SpawnTub/Jars now have custom addons available
- Customer enhancement: “Flexible” option now added to Classic Grow Kits
- Updated this changelog page to include links
05 June, 2021
- Fixed the broken cron job of wordpress. Now auto timed emails are working again! Dancer.
03 June, 2021
- New changelog page (this!)
- Moved the changelog location from site bottom to /changelog
- New Contact Us page
- New link styling
- New blog post Growing Your Own Mushroom Business
- Fixed a caching issue which affected a couple of users shopping baskets
02 June, 2021
- Cylocybe Premium is finally here
- Budget UK shipping options added (RM48)
- Fixed broken ‘Add to basket’ button on Rye Grain MycoBag Grow Kit
- Business mobile number now showing for all
- 5% Automated ‘New Customer Discount’ at checkout
- 10% Automated ‘Returning Customer Discount’ at checkout
- 15% Automated ‘Supporters Discount’ at checkout (increased from 10%)
- Changes to product layouts, headers, footers etc.
- Community Spores are now here (exciting times!!!)
- Font changes